Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Happy Tails!

After adding Memphis to our family (see previous blog "Diary of a Furry Baby") last August, Dean & I have become so passionate about animals. That's when my friend Harriet Dowlin told me that she & animal activist Ashley Pickins were starting a non-profit organization called Paws & Hands United, we jumped at the opportunity to help in any way we could. It's an amazing rescue that places animals in need with foster families until they can find their forever homes, rather than using the traditional rescue facility methods. Each furry baby has a photo with an information card, but more than that, PHU has a personal relationship with each dog/cat so it's much more intimate than most rescues. PHU partners with GoFetchforDogs.com which has all your pet needs in one place! Find products that are green and eco friendly, dog park locations, answers to pet questions, top recommendations & much more! 

Our fostering experience:
As I was going through my Facebook updates, I saw where Ashley has posted that we were bringing a 12 week-old Jack Russel/Hound mix into the PHU group but needed a foster family. She had the sweetest face & her story really touched me so as usual, I shared the info in hopes of finding a match for her & went on my way. A little bit later I found myself going back to the photo of her over & over again. I felt a tugging at my heart & I knew what we had to do. I went to Dean and asked him what he thought & fortunately we were on the same page! Whew! That day I told Ashley & Harriet that we wanted to be a foster family for the pretty little pup and the ball began to roll! 

Our first meeting! She came right to me and, well, peed on me a bit! Hahaha But she was (and still is) such a sweet girl. We decided to name her COOKIE because she has circles that look like cookies on her back & spots on her belly like chocolate chips!



Cookie enjoying her new pink bed & first bone in her new home! 

The introduction....needs no explanation...


She is definitely enjoying herself! 

After watching Memphis play fetch for a few days, Cookie decided to give it a try! 

The pups enjoying some tasty treats: puppy ice cream! They went ballistic! 

Good girl! She's already learned to sit! She came to us underweight & sick with tracheal bronchitis, but as you can see, she is healthy & happy now!

Chasing big brother around! He loves to be chased & she loves to chase so it's perfect! Memphis was really apprehensive at first but after about 3-4 days he has warmed up to her & they've become quite attached, which is why...
THAT'S RIGHT!!!! We are "foster failures!" Haha Dean, Memphis & I decided to make Cookies' stay with us a permanent one! Welcome to the family little miss Cookie Z! How could we resist that face?

Momma & baby! She is such a love bug!

Going for our morning walk! She does pretty good for being so young & she always looks to her big bro for guidance! 

Side by side!

Thick as thieves! 

Snuggle time is our favorite time...

...but sometimes she gets CRAZY! 

Daddy & big brother are happy about our new addition to the family too! Hahaha

For me, I feel like adding a furry baby (or two) to our family has made me a better person. I'm more patient, compassionate & responsible not only with animals, but with people as well. 

If you are considering adding a pet to your household, please contact Paws & Hands United:

Pawsandhandsunited.com
Pawsandhandsunited@gmail.com
Or Paws & Hands United on Facebook

Don't forget to check out GoFetchforDogs.com !!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment