Sunday, December 16, 2012

Bettie Page Look

Since I don't have any video and only a few photos, this tutorial is going to be quite lame, but I'll give it a go anyway!  I love getting dolled up in a pinup style and it just doesn't get any more classic than Bettie Page.  She was a pioneer and a pinup icon!  My tribute to her starts at the dress, which happens to be a Bettie Page design!  There are many sites I look to for my retro, rockabilly, vintage & pinup looks, but the Bettie Page Boutique is probably one of my favorites when it comes to dresses.  Real vintage clothes can cost hundreds upon hundreds of dollars, so unless you are collector, vintage reproduction is the way to go!  

I've covered the dress...now onto to the makeup!  I've learned so much from watching Youtube videos on how to do makeup.  My favorite channels are Pixiwoo & Kandee Johnson.  They are just wonderful :-)  To get into more detail on pinup makeup, I suggest you follow these ladies or you can simply type in "pinup makeup" on YouTube.  There are so many ways to learn!  The most important is to have a flawless complexion (or at least the appearance of one) so be sure to always always always wash your face & moisturize!!!  Secondly, a primer is key.  I really love Stila 10-in-1 primer from Sephora.  Finally, red lips & a cat eye drawn with black liquid liner are must-haves in the pinup world.  

When doing a Bettie Page look, it's all about the hair!  I started by using a small curling iron (argon from Sally's) and rolling two inch sections.  When you release the hair, keep it curled on your head and hold in place with a clip or bobby pin until it's cooled.  The longer your hair is able to set, the better.  Take down your hair and marvel at the beautiful ringlets!  :-)  buuuuut since we aren't going for "Shirley Temple," let's brush it out!  Take a round or flat brush and run it through the curls brushing them out and giving you that vintage wave.  Now, the most important piece of the puzzle: THE BANGS!!!  If you're like me and can't commit to cutting those iconic bangs, I have a solution for you.  You see, I have wavy/curly hair and really like to change up my look, so cutting Bettie Page bangs is simply not an option for me.  I found the most amazing product courtesy of MICHELINE PITT who is a model, owner of Pinup Girl Clothing & magazine, fashion designer & makeup artist.  They are...CLIP-IN BANGS!  I searched online and finally decided upon the Jessica Simpson & Ken Paves Brand "Hairdo."  I selected my color and received my fabulous bangs within a week!  Once they arrived they just needed to be cut to my specifications (make sure you have someone cut them that has experience with synthetic hair & wigs.).  I have hair pieces made from synthetic hair and real human hair, so it's just a personal preference.  It's definitely a job for google! :-)  After I placed my bangs, I twisted each side of my hair back and pinned with a bobby pin because I felt it was a better look for my face shape. The final touch was my big white flower which I LOVE LOVE LOVE!


I apologize again for the lameness of this tutorial but I hope it at least pointed you in the right direction!  I teach myself everything by looking at photos and watching tutorials on Youtube.  There are countless avenues of learning so take advantage!  I so appreciate all the gals I follow because they've taught me everything that I know!  Here are their names again:

Pixiwoo 
Kandee Johnson
Micheline Pitt

Finally...here are the photos of my Bettie Page Look that I sported for the Gimps Christmas Party!






No comments:

Post a Comment